You have probably tried transferring airtime to your loved ones from your MTN line, and just when you thought you got it covered, you were asked to input your transfer pin. For a few minutes, you were thrown off balance because you did not know what a transfer is or how to create a transfer pin on MTN. well, worry no more, because, in this article, I will be answering the following:
- What is the MTN transfer pin/code?
- What is the MTN Share and sell all about?
- How do I create an MTN transfer pin?
- How to reset my MTN transfer pin
What Is MTN Transfer Pin/Code?
With MTN, you can easily transfer airtime to your friends and loved ones who use the MTN network as well. But, during the process of transferring airtime, you will be required to input a 4-digit pin. This pin is needed to authenticate the transfer and this is what is known as an “MTN TRANSFER PIN”. Therefore, the MTN Transfer pin is a unique personalized code that is needed to make an airtime transfer on MTN. Just like your banking ATM pin, without your transfer pin, you cannot make an airtime transfer.
Before we go into creating the MTN transfer pin, let us take a quick look at the MTN Share and Sell.
What Is The MTN Share And Sell All About?
The MTN Share and Sell is a service that allows you to transfer, send, or share your airtime with your family and friends. In simple terms, using this service, you can send airtime from your current airtime balance. Note that, you cannot send more than the amount you have in your current balance. Before accessing this service you already have a default pin (0000). Now, this is the pin that you use for transfer and this is the pin you will need to change to a more personalized one.
How Do I Create An MTN Transfer Pin?
If you are making an airtime transfer for the first time or if you are using the MTN airtime transfer service for the first time, you will be required to create a transfer pin. Although there is usually a default pin (0000), it is always safer to change this pin to a unique personalized one pin. Now, there are several methods you can use to create this pin. They are:
- SMS method
- USSD code method
To use this method, follow the simple steps below:
- Open the messaging app of your mobile phone
- Text “Default PIN” “New PIN” “New PIN” to 777. For example; if you want to change the default pin (0000) to a new pin (2626), then the text should be in this format; “0000 2626 2626” and send it to 777
- You will receive a message indicating that your PIN has been created successfully
- That’s it! Your new pin has been set.
Simple right? Try it today and thank me later.
This is another method you can use to create a pin for your airtime transfer on MTN. the steps to follow are listed below:
- Go to the dialer of your mobile phone and dial the code using this format; *777*default pin*new pin*new pin#. For example, let us say you want to change the default PIN which is 0000 to a new pin, 2626, then you will; open the dialer on your phone and dial, *777*0000*2626*2626# and click on the dial button.
- Then you will receive a message indicating that you have successfully created your MTN transfer pin.
The pin you choose should be something you can easily remember, however, it should not be something anyone can easily figure out, to avoid someone else taking your phone and making an airtime transfer.
What then happens if you forgot your pin subsequently, or if someone else knows your pin and you need to change it? I will show you how to change your MTN transfer pin if you forgot it or if you need to change it for any reason.
How To Retrieve Your Lost MTN Transfer Pin
It is very common to forget your transfer pin after you have changed it from the default pin. Most people after changing the default pin and some other time, they need to make an airtime transfer, just get stuck when they are asked to provide their pin. This is because, being only 4 digits, the MTN pin is quite easy to forget. But, just in case you forgot the pin, do not worry, you are in safe hands, all you have to do is follow the simple steps I will outline below.
- Open the messaging app on your mobile phone
- Enter 556 as the recipient of the text.
- On the body of the message, type “YES” and press the send button.
- You will receive a text message stating that your new default pin is 0000, and then you will be asked to reset it to a personalized pin.
- All you have to do now is follow the steps on changing the default pin. For clarity’s sake, I will outline them again. Text “old pin new pin new pin” to 777 or dial *777*Old pin*New pin*New pin#
Alternatively, you can call MTN customer care by dialing 180 on your MTN line. When they start attending to you, tell them your name and phone number. Also, answer any question they ask you, and follow the instructions they give you to get your PIN changed. You could also visit the MTN website on https://www.mtn.ng/
If you follow any of the steps above, you will easily get your MTN transfer pin changed in no time. You can also start sending airtime to your friends and family. There you have it, an easy way to create your MTN transfer pin on your mobile phone. So now, you can go ahead and make an airtime transfer to your friends and loved ones.
- How to transfer airtime on MTN
How to share data on MTN
- How to transfer airtime on Airtel
- How to share data on Airtel