You must link your NIN to your phone if you are a Nigerian and have an MTN, Glo, Airtel, or 9mobile line. The Nigerian government issued a number called National Identification Number – NIN. If you haven’t yet registered for your NIN, you can do so by going to any of the NIMC centers near you. You can find a list of NIMC offices near you by visiting the NIMC website.
But, if you registered before but can’t remember your NIN, do not panic. This article will show you easy steps to retrieve your NIN from all the network providers in Nigeria.
In this article, we will cover the following topics:
I. How to link NIN to MTN
You can link your NIN to your MTN number using three methods:
- Through the MTN-NIN portal
- Using the USSD Code
- Using SMS
Please note that to link your NIN to your number, you will need the following:
- Your first name, last name, and middle name
- Your national identification number
- Your email address.
Method 1: Link NIN to MTN through the MTN-NIN portal
Here are easy steps to follow:
- Go to the MTN-NIN official portal – https://mtnonline.com/nim
- Provide the required information, i.e., name, National Identification Number, email address
- Click on the submit icon
- You will receive an OTP
- Enter the OTP in the space provided and click confirm
- Viola! Your NIN is now linked to your MTN number.
Method 2: Link NIN to MTN using USSD code
If you do not have an internet-enabled phone, this is an alternate method that works:
- All you have to do is dial *785*NIN#, and MTN will submit your data for linking
Method 3: Using SMS
- Text your NIN to 785, and the operator will link your NIN to your MTN number.
II. How to link NIN to Glo
Linking your NIN to your Glo line is fast and easy.
Method 1: Link Nin to Glo using SMS
To link your NIN to your Glo line, follow these simple steps:
- Dial *346# to retrieve your NIN (if you already have your NIN, you can skip this step)
- Send an SMS with the following message “UPDATENIN, NIN, First name, Last name” to 109. (Please note you must replace your first and last names with your first and last names).
After sending the message, you will receive an acknowledgment from Glo saying: “Dear esteemed customer, your NIN has been successfully received.” Now, you have to wait it out; in no time, the operator will link your NIN to your Glo number.
Note: To link your NIN to multiple Glo numbers, all you have to do is send the same message (“UPDATENIN, NIN, First name, Last name”) to 109 on all the Glo numbers
Method 2: Link Nin to Glo by making a Call
You can also link your NIN to your Glo line by calling 109 from your Glo number.
Method 3: Via the Glo Website
- Visit the GLO-NIN website; https://www.gloworld.com/ng/nin
- Next, enter your name
- Enter your mobile number
- Enter your email address
- Insert your National Identification Number (NIN) in the provided space.
- Lastly, click on submit.
- Your NIN is linked to your Glo number.
Method 4: Directly in Glo’s Office
You can visit the nearest Glo office to link your National Identification Number (NIN) to your Glo line. Ensure you go along with the following:
- Your Glo SIM pack
- NIN slip
III. How to link NIN to Airtel
To link NIN to Airtel is easy and can be done in the comfort of your home. Below are easy steps to follow to link NIN to an Airtel line. You can link your NIN to your Airtel number using two methods:
Method 1: Link NIN to Airtel through the Airtel NIN Portal
To link your National Identification Number to your Airtel line, follow these steps:
- Visit the Airtel-NIN portal – https://www.airtel.com.ng/nin
- Enter your Airtel number
- An OTP will be sent to your Airtel number
- Enter the OTP sent in the space provided
- Click the submit icon
- Insert your NIN and submit.
Alternatively, to save you the stress of the method or if you don’t have an internet-powered phone, you can use the second method
Method 2: Using USSD Code
The steps to link NIN to Glo are as follows:
- Dial *121#
- Follow the prompt that appears
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and press enter.
Alternatively, you can:
- Dial *121*1#, and you will be directly redirected to the portal to provide your NIN
- After that, you can insert your NIN to complete the linking process.
You can also link your NIN to your Airtel number using the NIMC mobile ID App (This will be explained in detail in the latter part of this article).
IV. How to link NIN to 9mobile
To link your NIN to your 9mobile line, you can either use the USSD code or visit the official 9mobile-NIN website. Here are the quick steps to connect NIN to a 9mobile line.
Method 1: Link NIN to 9mobile via USSD Code
- Dial *200*8#
- Insert your 11-digit National Identification Number in the space provided.
- You will receive a message confirming that your NIN has been successfully linked to your 9mobile number.
Method 2: Using the 9mobile NIN Portal
Alternatively, you can link your NIN to your 9mobile line using the official 9mobile NIN portal. All you have to do is:
- Visit https://9mobile.com.ng/nin
- Enter your phone number in the space provided
- Click on Proceed
- You will receive an OTP code.
- Enter the OTP in the space provided
- Insert your 11-digit National Identification Number in the space provided, and that’s it. Your 9mobile number has been linked to your NIN.
Method 3: Visiting 9mobile offices
- You can also link your NIN to your 9mobile line by going to the 9mobile office nearest you. Ensure you follow your National Identification Number and your 9mobile SIM pack.
V. How to Recover your NIN for MTN, Glo, Airtel, and, 9Mobile
You can check the top left corner of your NIN slip to get your National Identification Number. If you misplaced your NIN slip or forgot your National Identification Number (NIN) and are worried sick, not knowing how to get it, then:
- Dial *346# on your line to retrieve your NIN number. A service charge of N20 will apply for this service. This code is applicable to all networks
VI. How to link your NIN to your number using the NIMC mobile ID App
If you have tried using any of the methods above and are still having difficulty connecting your line, then you can use this alternative method – the NIMC mobile ID App. The NIMC Mobile ID App offers a secure way of verification.
To link your NIN to your sim using the app, you will need the following:
- Your National Identification Number
- Your mobile number
- A unique 6-digit pin
Follow these steps to link your MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile number to NIN using the NIMC mobile ID App:
Step 1: Download the NIMC mobile ID App
Firstly, you will have to download the NIMC mobile ID App. You can download the app from the google play store for your android devices or iOS devices; you can download the NIMC mobile ID App from the Apple store.
Step 2: Launch the app, and insert your NIN and phone number
After downloading and launching the app, you must insert your National Identification Number (NIN) and phone number. After you insert your NIN and number, an OTP will be sent to you. The OTP sent has a validity period of 1 minute.
Step 3: unique 6-digit pin creation
On completing step 2, you will be asked to create a unique 6-digit pin. Please note that this pin will be required whenever you sign in to the NIMC mobile app. Ensure to keep it safe.
Step 4: Link your phone numbers
Now that your mobile app is set up, you can start linking your National Identification Number (NIN) to your phone number(s). It is interesting to note that this method can connect as many as seven mobile numbers. However, an OTP will be sent for each number you want to link; this is sorely for verification purposes.
Also, note that extra service charges may apply for each OTP received.
So, there you have it! The detailed steps to link your National Identification Number to your MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile numbers. If you have followed through with the steps in this article, congratulations; your National Identification Number has been successfully linked to your number. If you have any challenges, feel free to comment, and we shall provide assistance where required.