A frequently asked question is how to share data on MTN. For digital operations, data is like food for the body. Most software, apps, and online services won’t work on your phone, tablet, or laptop if you don’t have data. There are more remote and hybrid workers in the economy today, which makes the need for data even more critical. As a result, you should get as much data as possible, so you can always stay connected to the internet.
Everyone with a device needs data to use the internet, talk to family, friends, and well-wishers, market products, stay active on social media, etc. It can be very frustrating not to be able to get in touch with someone you care about, a coworker or a friend, because they have run out of data.
Think about how you feel when someone you care about takes a long time to like, comment, or respond to a message you sent. You wouldn’t be happy to hear that the person couldn’t respond on time because they ran out of data. Why wouldn’t you want to help? If you’re like me, you’ll already be looking for a way to share some of your data with them.
Well, I have found the best ways for you to share data with your loved ones. In this article, you will learn how to share data on MTN, how to transfer data on MTN, how to share data from MTN to MTN, and how to share data from MTN to Airtel. Few people can get this information, so you should consider yourself lucky and use it well. You can even show your friends and family how to share data with you on the MTN network if you’re on the receiving end next time.
How to share data on the MTN network most effectively
When sharing MTN data with family, friends, or coworkers, you have three options. Before reading this article, you might have yet to learn how to share data on MTN in 2022, but this article will clarify everything.
In 2022, there will be three ways to share data, and I will tell you all about them. You can use USSD codes, send data through SMS, or use your MyMTN mobile app. I’ll let you know more and list the steps below.
How to Share Data on MTN with USSD Code
Using the unique USSD code *131*7#, you can easily share your data with a loved one. This method works well, provided your family member or friend uses MTN.
To use this option, follow these steps:
- Dial *131*7# via the caller app on your phone
- Select Option 1 – Transfer from data balance
- Enter the recipient’s active MTN phone number
- Select the amount of data you wish to share from the options provided
- Confirm your transaction by selecting Option 1.
How to Share Data on MTN with SMS
Sharing data on MTN via SMS is another fast and easy way to share data with your loved ones or close pals. You can choose this option if you need to get better at remembering codes or if you’d instead send text messages. This method is also excellent if you want to buy a data bundle for a family member or friend instead of giving them some of the data you already have.
To use this option, you only have to follow these simple steps.
- On your phone messaging app, type “Transfer,” space “Recipient’s number,” space “Data amount.” Here’s an example: Transfer 08030000000 3000
- Send this message as a text to 131
- If your data share is successful, you will receive a confirmation message as a text message.
- It’s literally that simple and quick. The option is great if you’re light on your fingers or love writing and sending texts. A charge will be deducted from your airtime when you purchase a bundle for your loved one. Similarly, your data share will be marked as failed if you don’t have enough airtime to finish the transaction. You can check your MTN account balance with this USSD code: *131*#.
How to Share Data on MTN using the MTN App
Sharing data with your favourite people can be fun, especially when using the MyMTN app. If you buy the data for your loved one through the MyMTN app, they will immediately get your shared data bundle. All you need for this option is your MyMTN mobile app, an active data subscription, and your fingers. You can download the MyMTN app from the Play Store if you haven’t already.
To proceed with this option, follow these simple steps:
- Download the MyMTN app on the Play Store or Apple store if you haven’t already
- Set up your profile and log in.
- Click on the “Share” option on your home page. Next comes the “Data and Airtime Sharing Options” screen.
- Select “Data”
- Enter the amount of data you want to share
- Enter the recipient’s phone number
- Select “Proceed”
There you have it. This method undoubtedly takes the longest to complete, but in the end, it’s worth the smile on your family and friends’ faces.
Things to Note when Sharing Data on MTN
I’m sure you’ve gained valuable insights on how to transfer data on MTN. By now, you know that sharing data on MTN is highly stress-free and quick. Regardless, there are certain essential things you need to know about how to do data sharing on MTN. I’ve made a list for you below.
- You do not need a pin to use MTN’s data gifting service. Just follow the steps in any of the three options listed above.
- The smallest amount of data you can share is 10MB, while the data transfer limit is 1 GB. However, your transfer will only be successful if you have a minimum of 50MB left in your data balance.
- The data will be deducted from your bundle if you have multiple data subscriptions on your registered MTN sim card.
- The recipient of your shared data will be able to receive the data you transferred to them regardless of whether they have sufficient data or a low data balance. They will also deplete their shared data balance before their principal data balance.
- Furthermore, if your data recipient’s registered MTN line is on DND (Do Not Disturb), they won’t be able to receive your data gift. They won’t be able to see that you’re trying to gift them data, so you need to check with them first and confirm that they have disabled the DND service.
- You can only share, transfer, or buy third-party data through MTN’s daily, weekly, or monthly bundles. They do not allow data sharing or transfers from other data bundles like Xtravalue, Xtradata, etc.
- MTN does not permit you to combine data from different active bundles as a single data-sharing unit to share with your loved ones. For example, let’s assume that you have 1GB of active data left in your weekly bundle and 3.5GB of operational data in your monthly bundle. MTN won’t let you share 250MB from both bundles as a 500MB data gift to your loved one. Instead, MTN will transfer the data from the more recent data subscription bundle.
- Your loved ones can check their gifted data balance via the codes; Text 2 to 131 (SMS) and dial *131*4# (USSD code), or they can check their data balance on their MyMTN app.
- You can also receive a data gift by requesting data from your family, friends, and colleagues. Just dial *131*7*3#. Remember that you can only make this request a maximum of five times per day. To view your existing requests for data, dial *131*7*4#.
Question & Answers
Question 1: Can I Share Data from MTN to Airtel Network
There was previously a method that allowed MTN subscribers to share data with Airtel users. Several articles will probably tell you to send the following message as a text to 127. “Gift, insert space, recipient’s phone number, insert space, and data amount. However, we can confirm that this does not work. These MTN codes got deactivated by MTN. So, you can’t share or transfer data from your MTN data bundle to family, friends, or coworkers on the Airtel network.
Using your bank app, we have an alternative way to share data with Airtel users. We provide the details below.
Tap “Buy airtime or data” on your bank’s app and fill in the necessary information. You will also have to choose the network for which you want to buy the data or airtime. Choose Airtel and enter the phone number. Enter your PIN and confirm the transaction to finish. Your loved one will receive the airtime or data.
So, that’s it! We have learned how to share data on MTN, how to transfer data on MTN, how to share data on MTN to MTN, how to share data on MTN to Airtel, how to do data share on MTN, and how to share data on MTN in 2022.
I’ve told you everything there is to know. Furthermore, I have given you the tools you need to show how kind you are to your loved ones.
Please comment below if you have other ideas or questions that this article still needs to answer. You can also leave a comment to let me know what other network-related content you’d like me to put together for you. Till next time, happy data sharing!
- How to check MTN Data Balance
- How to check Airtel Data Balance
- How to transfer airtime on MTN
- How to subscribe to Airtel Night Plan
- How to link your NIN to MTN
- How to subscribe to MTN Night Plan
- How to check your balance on 9Mobile
- How to check your data balance on Glo