Knowing how to check your BVN online in Nigeria has become a necessity. You can check your BVN on MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile. The banking industry has become increasingly vulnerable to fraud due to the rapid and steady increase in digital transactions. Because of this, the government implemented a biometric identification system. This new system, known as the Bank Verification Number (BVN), has been implemented to lessen and eliminate fraudulent and illegal banking activities in Nigeria.
The Central Bank implemented this per Act 1958. BVN is short for Bank Verification Number and is like the unique identity of the banking space. It is a security number linked to all your accounts and transactions.
In fact, in today’s banking world, your BVN is more important than your name. Knowing how to check your BVN online is equally essential. BVN is a unique 11-digit number that should be kept private. To own a bank account in Nigeria, you must link a BVN to it.
In Nigeria, you must have a BVN to open a bank account.
Table of Contents
How do I get my BVN
To get a Bank Verification Number (BVN), you must first carry out a biometric exercise at any bank of your choice. Therefore, to be assigned a BVN, you must walk into any bank and request to register for your BVN. The bank official will walk you through the process.
Below are the steps to follow in registering your BVN.
- Go to your bank with a valid identity card, which could be your Driver’s license, voter’s card, national ID card, or NIN slip. On getting to your bank, ask the customer service care representative for a BVN enrollment form.
- Fill in the form correctly, and then the bank official will capture your biometrics (basically, your fingerprints and passport photograph)
- Next, you will get a ticket ID, and that’s it! Your BVN is registered.
- You should receive your Bank Verification Number (BVN) in a few days.
Many banks have simplified the process by making it entirely online; you can download the form, I will tell you.
How to check BVN on MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile (Etisalat)
Checking your BVN has been made so easy that even a child can do it. All you need is the following:
- Your mobile phone.
- The phone number you registered on your BVN.
Please remember that it doesn’t matter if your “BVN registered” phone number is with Glo, MTN, Airtel, or 9mobile. The USSD code I’m about to give you works on any network (Glo, MTN, Airtel, and 9mobile).
If you have your phone and the phone number registered on your BVN, proceed with the steps below.
- Dial *565*0# on the phone number registered on your BVN.
- Your 11-digit Bank Verification Number (BVN) will appear on your phone’s screen.
This process remains the same for all the network providers (MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile). To check your BVN on your MTN, Glo, Airtel, or 9mobile number, you must follow the same process outlined above.
Please note that your network provider for this service will charge you a service charge of N20. So, before you dial the code, you must ensure that your SIM card has at least N20 worth of airtime.
To save yourself the time and stress of constantly checking your BVN, save it discreetly on your phone or write it down in your journal, diary, or another safe place for future reference.
How to Check Your BVN on the BVN Online Portal
Alternatively, you can check your BVN online, provided you have an internet connection and a phone to browse the Internet. This method is also effective if you lose the phone number registered on your BVN. The steps to follow are as follows.
- Ensure your mobile data is on and that you have a strong internet connection on your phone.
- On your phone browser, visit the NIBSS BVN online portal at https://bvnvalidationportal.nibss-plc.com.ng/bvn-validation-portal/.
- You will be required to enter your BVN details.
- Next, enter your password and click on login/search.
- Choose a preferred payment method. This service will cost N25.
- Lastly, on the BVN portal, your BVN will be shown.
You must, however, note that to use this method, you must already know your BVN. The upside to this method is your name is displayed along with other personal information registered on your BVN.
Is the USSD Code for Checking BVN the same across all banks
Yes, the code to check your Bank Verification Number (BVN) is *565*0# for all banks. So, irrespective of the bank you operate with, to check your BVN, you must dial *565*0# on your mobile device, and your BVN will be displayed.
Lastly, you can visit the bank if you cannot use any of the methods discussed. In the bank, make a request to the customer care representatives of your bank for your BVN.
In conclusion, getting your BVN back in case of an emergency or after you lose it should be a manageable task. With the methods shared above, you can quickly check your BVN from your mobile phone without much stress.
- How to check MTN Data Balance
- How to check Airtel Data Balance
- How to transfer airtime on MTN
- How to subscribe to Airtel Night Plan
- How to link your NIN to MTN
- How to subscribe to MTN Night Plan
- How to check your balance on 9Mobile
- How to check your data balance on Glo
- How to share data on MTN
9mobile Data Plans
Leave a reply